The sword is, as it were, consecrated to God; and the art of war becomes a part of our religion.” –Samuel Davies

Friday, May 30, 2014

An 18th Century Baptist Comedian?

       Some people believe that Baptist preachers have no sense of humor, but that certainly isn’t true.  Sometimes they can be very funny, just take this incident from the memoirs of John Gano as an example:

In my way to Mars-bluff [SC], on the Pedee, I lodged at the ferry-man's house.  He observed, that he believed I was a minister, and wished me to tell him, of the best and shortest way to heaven.  I told him that Christ was the best way; and that he must become experimentally acquainted with him, and believe in him, which was the hope of glory. — That after he had obtained this, the shortest way, that I knew, would be to place himself in the front of some army, in an engagement. 1

       Ok… so maybe it is an acquired taste!

       Lord willing we will take another look at the life of Rev. Gano in my next post.

Christ, not man, is King!
Dale

1)      John Gano, Biographical Memoirs of the Late Rev. John Gano (New York: Southwick & Hardcastle, 1806), p. 69.




1 comment:

  1. HaHa! It seems Mr. Gano did have quite the sense of humor. I discovered your blog a short time ago, and I expect to spend some time going through your archives. There's a lot of precious history here. I just started a blog the other day; I don't have much up yet, but I'd be honoured if you'd stop by sometime. God bless.

    ReplyDelete