The sword is, as it were, consecrated to God; and the art of war becomes a part of our religion.” –Samuel Davies

Monday, October 7, 2013

The Conversion of Isaac Backus

       As I promised in my last post, here is Isaac Backus’ own recounting of how he was graciously saved by the Lord Jesus Christ.

       In the great awakening which we have briefly noticed, Backus was brought to a saving knowledge of the truth.  He had no opportunity to hear either Whitefield or Tennent, but the revival which attended their labors, "reached Norwich in 1741, under the preaching of Dr. Wheelock and others."  "This work," says Mr. Backus, "was so powerful, and people in general were so ignorant, that they had little government of their passions.  Many cried out and fell down in meetings.  But I had so much doctrinal knowledge, that I never was overcome in that manner.  Neither could I put off my concern, as I had done before, for a more convenient season.  No, though I was in good health, I saw that life was forfeited by sin, and that God had a right to take it away in a moment.  I saw also that He had now given me an opportunity to repent and turn to Him, and that, if it was neglected, I was lost for eternity.  Time was then taken out of the way, and a vast eternity was directly before me, without any hope of ever having another day of grace, should this be neglected.   This moved me to the earnest use of all the means, public or private, within my reach, that I might get a good heart to come to Christ with.  For all the sound teaching with which I had been favored had given me no higher ideas than that a good disposition of mind was necessary in order to come to Christ for salvation.  But all the awakening preaching that I now heard, and all the books which I read, were so far from producing any such disposition, that my heart seemed to grow worse and worse daily; and I saw seeds of all the evils of the world in me.  While others were crying out and falling down in distress, I felt like a stupid beast before God; and nothing was more terrible to me than the fear of losing my convictions and being left of God to a hard heart and reprobate mind; for I fully believed that now was my only time to obtain salvation, that I should never have another day of grace.  Neither could I bear to be deceived with a false hope.  When a minister once stated a case like mine, and then said to his hearers: "If this be your case, be not discouraged, but see if God does not appear speedily for your help," I was powerfully tempted to cast off my concern and to hope for help hereafter.  But this appeared plainly to come from the adversary, and it increased my distress.  Again, one morning these words came into my mind like an audible voice, "Thou art not far from the kingdom of heaven."  But my soul was alarmed thereby, through fear of being settled down in something short of a union with Christ, and this alarm made me cry out to Him for help.
       "In the beginning of August, Mr. James Davenport came to Norwich, where he was met by Doctors Wheelock and Pomeroy, and meetings were held incessantly for three days.  People were greatly affected and many hopefully converted, while I grew worse and worse in my own view.  Powerful preaching, and the sight of many in distress or joy, while I remained a hardened sinner, caused such anguish as words cannot express.  Yet hereby God laid open to me the plague of my own heart and the folly of seeking life by my own doings.  My tears were dried up, and I could find no good in me.  Instead of this I felt inclined to quarrel with the sovereignty and justice of God, and the freeness of his grace, a grace so free that he was not obliged to have mercy upon me after all my doings.  A sight of these corruptions increased my distress and filled me with confusion before God.  And as I believed this to be my last opportunity, and my convictions seemed to be going off, and the work of God to be abating among us, how awful did my case appear!  But God's thoughts are as high above our thoughts as the heavens are above the earth; for He thus drew me off from all trust in myself or any creature, and led me to embrace salvation in His own way.
       "As I was mowing alone in the field, August 24th, 1741, all my past life was opened plainly before me, and I saw clearly that it had been filled up with sin.  I went and sat down in the shade of a tree, where my prayers and tears, my hearing the Word of God and striving for a better heart, with all my other doings, were set before me in such a light that I perceived I could never make myself better, should I live ever so long.  Divine justice appeared clear in my condemnation, and I saw that God had a right to do with me as he would.  My soul yielded all into His hands, fell at His feet, and was silent and calm before Him.  And while I sat there, I was enabled by divine light to see the perfect righteousness of Christ and the freeness and riches of His grace, with such clearness, that my soul was drawn forth to trust in Him for salvation.  And I wondered that others did not also come to Him who had enough for all.  The Word of God and the promises of His grace appeared firmer than a rock, and I was astonished at my previous unbelief.  My heavy burden was gone, tormenting fears were fled, and my joy was unspeakable.
       "Yet this change was so different from my former ideas of conversion, that for above two days I had no thought of having experienced it.  Then I heard a sermon read which gave the characters of the children of God, and I had an inward witness that those characters were wrought in me; such as a spirit of prayer, a hatred of sin, an overcoming of the world, love to the brethren, and love to enemies; and I conclude that I then had the sealings of the Spirit of God, that I was a child of His.  New ideas and dispositions were given me; the worship and service of God and obedience to His will were the delight of my soul.  I found such happiness therein as I never had in all the vanities of the world; and this I have often experienced since."
       Mr. Backus then proceeds to speak of those alternations of spiritual joy and despondency, to which every Christian is peculiarly subject in the beginning of his course.  He observes, that although darkness at times overspread his mind, he was unable to revive his former terrors; although doubts in respect to his piety were experienced, he sought in vain to recover his previous state of conviction.  He attributes his depression and distress to a want of watchfulness and to a neglect of known duty. 1

       It is true that God only saves those who have abandoned all hope of spiritual merit in themselves, and certainly Backus’ testimony is just another confirmation of this truth.  Lord-willing, we will glean more from the life of this great preacher in my next post.

Christ, not man, is King!
Dale

1)      Alvah Hovey, A Memoir of the Life and Times of the Rev. Isaac Backus, A.M. (Boston, MA: Gould and Lincoln, 1859), p. 37-40.




No comments:

Post a Comment