The sword is, as it were, consecrated to God; and the art of war becomes a part of our religion.” –Samuel Davies

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

"The Kind Providence of God"

       In our last post, we looked at David Jones’ journal entry where he related his dialogue with the Shawnee Chief, Yellow Hawk.  We’ll pick up his story there.  

       SATURDAY, February 6 [1773], in the afternoon, was sitting on my bed in Mr. Irwine's house, and two of his men were shelling corn at the door, an Indian lately returned from his hunt, came hastily in pursuit of Mr. Irwine's lad, who ran partly behind me.  The Indian with violence seized him by the throat, and seemed to be feeling for his knife or tommehock [sic].  Seeing him somewhat intoxicated, was surprised. Putting my hand to his breast, relieved the lad, and spoke in the Shawannee language in the most friendly manner.  He seemed for a little to be pacified, but soon asked for some tobacco, in the most masterly manner.  Having forgot its name, told him in his own language that I did not understand him. This enraged him, therefore he took some tobacco, and with violence jobbed it to my mouth, saying ‘tobaac’.  Told him that I had none.  Immediately he was so exasperated, that he drew a very large knife on me, and approached to make a pass at me; kept him off only by the length of my arms, so that he could not stab me, desiring one of the men to assist me in such danger: but so dastardly was his conduct, that he refused to come into the house.  He afterwards apologized and said that he saw not the knife.  In the mean-time the Indian's mother came hastily in, and sprang between us, seizing her son by the hand, and took hold of the knife looking smilingly in my face, as is supposed, to pacify me, lest some evil might follow.  By this unforeseen, and yet most seasonable and providential means, got out of doors, and walked off pretty fast to Mr. Henry's, though I did not think proper to run—the distance might be about one hundred yards.  Can't readily describe my sensation at that time.  I felt something like to what you may call a martial spirit stirring in me; my heart became void of fear: the great law of self-defence opened to my view, on the frequent return of these words to my mind, "died Abner as a fool dieth?"  In case of another attack, was not without thoughts of standing up for my life, and according to my strength to repel force with force.  But oh! how good the Lord is in time of necessity to them that trust in him, in opening another, and much better way for escape, as will appear in the sequel, without offering violence to the hurt of any one.  When that Indian beset me, had indeed a knife in my pocket, but it was so ordered that I did not once think of it at that time.  Since that, esteem it a mercy from God that I did not; for had I made any attempts of the kind, the consequence might have been very bad.  This Indian's name is Yattathuckee [“a hasty setting sun”].  Near night Mr. Henry was looking out at his window, and saw an Indian coming called Old Will.  He knew him well, and desired me to keep out of that fellow's way, for he was afraid that he would do me harm.  For concealment, went upon the cabin-loft, but it was so low that if an Indian stood with his back to the fire, and his face towards me, he might easily see me, therefore for disguise drew some blankets over me.  Presently in comes Old Will, making inquiry for me, with terrible threats in such a rage, that he soon began to cry with venomous anger.  Often he repeated, "Oh! if I could get one stroke, one stroke!"  This was spoken in English—and Mr. Henry often answered him in English, 'tis likely to let me know how matters were like to issue.  Mr. Henry in common possesses a calmness of mind, and on this occasion used it with great discretion; he did not appear the least disturbed, but answered with an air of indifference, and said may be I was gone away, for the Indians were so cross that he did not think I would stay. Mr. Irwine, I believe, was not a little distressed on this occasion; and by his prudent conduct contributed to blind the old murderer.  Mrs. Henry, knowing well the disposition of the Indians, cast in her mite, and by what was said Old Will despaired of finding me, consequently went home.  But like Job's messengers, one was not well gone before another came, whose name is Black Arms.  He spoke only in the Shawannee tongue, I could judge only by the tone of his voice, which was the most terrible that ever saluted my ears.  His voice was indeed as the very harbinger of death itself, so that every moment an engagement for life was expected.  But behold, through the kind providence of God, a timely way of escape was provided.  That evening a very noted person of this nation, called the Blinking Woman, was at Mr. Henry's.  This woman was foster-mother to Mrs. Henry in time of her captivity.  There were present also two or three squaas [sic] besides.  It seemed as if these said something in my favour, though I am not certain what they said, but 'twas soon perceivable that Black Arms was quarrelling with them; the matter was carried so high, that it was evident the squaas would no longer bare the abuse; an apprehension of this made Black Arms very glad to find the door, lest he should have been roughly treated for his insolence.  During this time little could be expected but death, yet as a support it came into my mind that at our association my last request to my ministring [sic] brethren was, to pray that I might be dilivered [sic] from the hands of unreasonable men, which afforded me a degree of hope, that God would hear their prayers, and give deliverance in his own way.  Indeed the case seemed in some respects desperate, and was almost similar to the condition of the Israelites at the Red Sea; for if by night an escape was made, the inhabitants were at such a distance, and so many rivers to cross, that there was no prospect of redress.  But how infinitely wise is God in disposing all things to unite for the preservation of his people!  When Saul and his men surrounded David in the wilderness of Maon, so that he was inclosed [sic] as a fish in a net, behold! a messenger comes with the alarming news that the Philistines had invaded his territories, which obliged him to return with all possible speed.  Wisely did God over-rule the turbulent dispositions of this people for my safety; for the squaas, abused by Black Arms, were friends to Old Will, to whom a complaint was made of their abusive treatment.  This exasperated Old Will so that he resolved to give him manual instructions for his conduct, for, said he, "Black Arms is always quarrelling with women."  Upon meeting a bloody battle commenced, in which each was so effectually abused, that they were willing to remain in their houses till I left the town.  Who could have thought of such a way to escape!   From hence, have been induced to say, that God often exceeds the expectation of them that trust in him, and opens a door of relief in a way unexpected by us.  Before I proceed to give an account of my travels to the Delaware Indians, shall describe the genius, customs, government and religion of this nation [Shawnee], as far as opportunity and information allow me.  If any thing happens to be misrepresented, shall make no other apology than it was not designed. 1

       What an amazing story!  To me this is a clear example of what the psalmist is referring to when the Scripture says “Surely the wrath of man shall praise thee: the remainder of wrath shalt thou restrain.” (Ps. 76:10)  Each of these Indians, Yattathuckee, Old Will and Black Arms, wished to do harm to Jones and yet all three were restrained from doing so by the sovereign hand of God.  What is even more amazing is that God used the personal animosity between Old Will and Black Arms to distract them from their mutual dislike of Jones; they became too busy fighting each other to bother with the missionary.  This also calls to my mind the sagacity of the Apostle Paul in Acts 23:6-8 where he is able to set the Pharisees and the Sadducees against one another to his benefit.  I suppose that should be a lesson to us about how harboring wrath and anger in our hearts makes us liable to be manipulated by others for their own benefit.  As I read Jones’ account, it reminded me of an almost identical situation that occurred in the life of David McClure, the missionary whose journal I have previously shared on my blog.  I thought for certain I had blogged about that particular incident but I apparently I did not.  I my next post I will make up the deficiency.

Christ, not man, is King!
Dale

1)      David Jones, A Journal of Two Visits Made to Some Nations of Indians on the West Side of the River Ohio in the Years 1772 and 1773 (Burlington, NJ: Isaac Collins, 1774), p. 48-52.


No comments:

Post a Comment