The sword is, as it were, consecrated to God; and the art of war becomes a part of our religion.” –Samuel Davies

Sunday, December 9, 2012

The End of an Incredible Journey

       As promised, here is the conclusion of Thomas Brown’s remarkable narrative.

       Here I was taken Sick, and some of the Light Infantry promised me if I would inlist [sic], that they would provide for me; and having neither Friends nor Money, I was obliged to consent. They ordered me a Bed, and Care to be taken of me. Five Days after, they put me on board a Sloop, and sent me to Kingston, and put me into a Hospital, where I was three Months.
       The Regiment remained here till May [1759], when we went to Albany, from thence to Fort William Henry, and then to Tionderoga and Crown Point; both of which Places surrendered to General AMHERST.1

       Having survived all he previously went through, one would have thought Thomas Brown would have succumbed to his illness rather than facing more hardships and privations as a soldier.  At least during this stage in his military career he was enjoying some success.  If I were writing this story myself, I would have added more details to Brown’s accounts of the fall of the French forts and then concluded his journal there.  But, of course, this is the story of Thomas Brown and just when you thought it was over it suddenly takes an unexpected turn!

       On Sept. 19th, went Pilot of a Scout to Cachanowaga [Caughnawaga], with Lieutenant McCurdy, and on our Return, as we were on Lake Champlain, turning a Point of Land, and under great Way, we discovered in a large Cove a French Brig, but it was unhappily too late for us to make our Escape. We were pursued and taken Prisoners (being 7 in Number), and the next Morning sent to Nut 6 Island; where we were stripp'd by the Indians, and dressed after their manner. From thence we were conducted to Montreal and examined before the Governor; after which we were ordered to Prison. I applied to the Governor, and told him That I had been a Prisoner there two Years, and had liv'd with such a Farmer, and desired Liberty to go to him again; upon which he sent for my Master's Son, and being inform'd of the Truth of what I related, consented. 2

       What?  Brown in captivity in Montreal again?  And left in the custody of the same farmer?  Only God could providentially permit those circumstances to come about according to His sovereign decree because no one would ever believe it could happen otherwise.  If I believed in luck, which I don’t, I would say Brown has to be the unluckiest guy ever, of all time!  Then again, consider how blessed by God he really was.  Who would ever imagine falling into the hands of their savage enemies repeatedly and yet living to tell about it?  What will happen to Brown now?

       I tarried with the Farmer till November 25th [1759], when by a Flag of Truce 250 English Prisoners came to Crown Point, where I rejoined my regiment.
       After repeated Application to General  AMHERST  I was dismissed, and returned in Peace to my Father's House the Beginning of January, 1760, after having been absent 3 Years and almost 8 Months.
       " O! that Men would praise the LORD for his Goodness, and for his wonderful Works to the Children of Men!"
" Bless the LORD, O my Soul! “  3

       Is it possible?  Thomas Brown survived it all and returned to his family!  It is no wonder that Brown referred to his narrative as “uncommon sufferings and remarkable deliverance” because that is exactly what happened.  Nothing is more appropriate for the closing of this narrative than to sing praises to God, which is exactly how Brown concluded it.  All I can say is, “Amen!” 

Christ, not man, is King!
Dale

1)          “A Plain Narrativ of the Uncommon Sufferings and Remarkable Deliverance of Thomas Brown,” The Magazine of History, Extra No. 4, Vol. 1 (New York, NY: William Abbatt, 1908), p. 220.
2)          Ibid., p. 221.
3)          Ibid., p. 221.

No comments:

Post a Comment